Colorectal surgeons specialise in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders affecting the colon, rectum and anus. The colon, or large intestine, is the organ responsible for the absorption of water and electrolytes from the material passed from the small intestine. It then passes on waste to be expelled through the rectum and anus. By contrast, if you have constipation it may be because the stool has been in the colon too long and become hard and dried out. Your colon is approximately six to seven feet in length and contains around 100 trillion microbes, known as the gut flora which play an important role in gut function and immune system.
What is colorectal surgery?
Colorectal surgery is the area of medicine concerned with treatment of intestinal disorders and aims to improve quality of life for patients who may be experiencing painful, unpleasant or embarrassing symptoms. In many cases, it is possible to perform minimally-invasive colorectal surgery using laparascopic (keyhole) techniques. Such techniques can relieve pain, reduce discomfort and improve the normal function of the gastrointestinal system.
Private colorectal surgery at Harley Street Specialist Hospital
Harley Street Specialist Hospital is a leading private colorectal surgery practice based on Harley Street in London, offering the very latest diagnostic and treatment procedures. Our consultants provide discreet, sensitive and compassionate care. We specialise in:
- Pilondial sinus – this is a condition affecting the natal cleft between the buttocks and consists of small holes and / or tunnels or pockets in the skin over the sacrum and coccyx. It may become infected and fill with fluid or pus causing an abscess which can cause severe pain. It is most common in young men and if present may be aggravated by spending too long sitting. Treatments include lancing an abscess to drain the pus and surgical removal of the sinus to cure it.
- Anal fistula – this is an abnormal tunnel that develops between the anus and skin around the anus or buttocks. Fistulas often develop following an anal abscess that does not heal properly. They rarely heal by themselves and may require surgery, such as cutting open the fistula or placing a piece of surgical thread inside it to control or prevent re-infection.
- Haemorrhoids – also called piles, these are swollen veins that develop inside your lower rectum and under the skin around the anus. They are very common and can cause itching, pain, swelling or bleeding. Treatment may include lifestyle changes (eating high fibre foods) and using creams. Minimally-invasive procedures including rubber band ligation can be effective but for more large or persistent haemorrhoids you may need surgical removal.
- Anal Fissure – This is an extremely painful cut or tear in the skin of the anus. It is very common and is caused by trauma of passing very hard stool or severe diarrhoea. It can cause bleeding and pain for many hours after a bowel movement. It can be treated by dietary means and creams in many acute cases. The majority of chronic, resistant cases can be cured by surgery which is a day case procedure.
Why choose Harley Street Specialist Hospital for private colorectal surgery?
At Harley Street Specialist Hospital, you can expect:
- Our team of expert colorectal surgeons to offer rapid assessment and the latest treatments in comfortable central London surroundings, as well as video consultations from the comfort of your own home.
- Holistic care where you are an equal partner in the creation of your individualised treatment plan.
- State of the art diagnostic imaging – you don’t need to go elsewhere as we have in house X-ray, ultrasound and image intensifiers.
- Day-case and outpatient investigations and surgical procedures in a modern clinical setting.
- No waiting lists and your treatment can take place at a convenient time for you.
We welcome patients with private medical insurance or those wishing to pay for their own treatment.