Like other parts of your body, your eyes can become diseased or suffer from injuries or age-related conditions, such as cataracts glaucoma and macular degeneration. Eyes are complex structures: They contain more than two million moving parts and seven million cones cells. Although you might expect the most active muscles in your body to be in your hands or maybe your jaw, they are actually in your eyes. Your sight function is so important it takes up more than 50% of your brain’s functionality.
What is ophthalmology?
Ophthalmology deals with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases and injuries of the eye. Many diseases that affect the eye and visual system are linked to ageing, such as age-related macular degeneration and cataracts. In fact, cataracts are the leading cause of visual impairment in the world and cataract surgery is the second most commonly performed operation in the NHS. Diagnosing diseases like this early means they can be managed effectively using medicines and treatments, including microsurgery.
Private ophthalmology at Harley Street Specialist Hospital
Harley Street Specialist Hospital offers the very latest approaches to diagnostic, treatment and prevention of eye conditions and diseases. Our ophthalmologists specialise in:
- Lens replacement – a leading edge surgical technique that will restore high-definition vision so you can be permanently free from wearing glasses or contact lenses.
- Cataracts – linked to ageing, diabetes, trauma or genetics, cataracts cause the lens of the eye to cloud, affecting vision. Cataract surgery is an extremely effective and safe way to correct the problem.
- Glaucoma – regular eye assessments check for glaucoma, which can cause permanent eye damage if it goes undetected. It is mainly due to too much pressure in the eye which squeezes the optical nerve.
- New lenses for macular degeneration – linked to ageing, macular degeneration eventually causes loss of sight. It affects 4-6 million people in the UK but may be effectively treated using lens correction surgery, and or injections of new transforming drugs which repair the retina.
- Canthopexy / eye lid surgery – this simple outpatient cosmetic procedure involves removing a small amount of skin to create a fold in the upper eyelid to produce a rounder, larger appearance to the eyes.
- Eye bag removal / blepharoplasty – loss of skin elasticity due to ageing is often most noticeable around the eyes. Blepharoplasty is surgery to remove excess skin and fatty tissue to rejuvenate the eye area.
Why choose Harley Street Specialist Hospital?
At Harley Street Specialist Hospital, you can expect:
- Our team of expert ophthalmologists to offer rapid assessment and the latest treatments in comfortable central London surroundings, as well as video consultations from the comfort of your own home.
- Holistic care where you are an equal partner in the creation of your individualised treatment plan.
- State of the art diagnostic imaging – you don’t need to go elsewhere as we have in house X-ray, ultrasound and image intensifiers.
- Day-case and outpatient investigations and surgical procedures in a modern clinical setting.
- No waiting lists and your treatment can take place at a convenient time for you.
We welcome patients with private medical insurance or those wishing to pay for their own treatment.