Tumours can affect many areas of your head, face, neck and mouth including your larynx, throat, lips, mouth, nose and salivary glands.
Some of the symptoms may include:
- White or red patches in your mouth
- Swelling in your jaw
- Unusual pain or bleeding in your mouth
- Sore throat that doesn’t go away
- Sores or lumps that don’t improve
- Difficulty breathing, swallowing, talking or breathing
- Severely blocked sinuses
There are many reasons why you may have head and neck cancer symptoms, and it’s important to get a diagnosis and treatment as soon as possible.
How can I detect if I have a head or neck tumour?
You may not be aware of the warning signs of a tumour as they are not necessarily obvious or cause any pain. It’s important to do a monthly self-examination to look for changes in colour, texture, lumps and lesions and ensure you identify any problems early.
Standing in front of a mirror, use a torch to look and feel inside your lips, gum, cheeks and the roof of the mouth. You should also stick out your tongue to examine it and feel both sides of your neck and underneath your jaw to look for lumps and swollen lymph nodes.
A tumour can be removed, and you will usually be completely cured if it is detected early. Your consultant will carry out a physical exam, diagnostic tests and a tissue biopsy to confirm a diagnosis.
What are the treatments for head or neck tumours?
Treatment for head, face, neck and mouth tumours depends on the location of the tumour and what stage it’s at. Treatments include radiotherapy, chemotherapy and surgery. You may need to have surgery to remove the tumour followed by radiotherapy and chemotherapy.
If necessary, your surgeon will use reconstructive techniques to restore the appearance of the surgical area after treating your tumour.
Why choose Harley Street Specialist Hospital?
At Harley Street Specialist Hospital, you can expect:
- Our team of expert oral and maxillofacial surgeons to offer rapid assessment and the latest treatments in comfortable central London surroundings, as well as video consultations from the comfort of your own home.
- Holistic care, where you are an equal partner in the creation of your individualised treatment plan.
- State of the art diagnostic imaging – you don’t need to go elsewhere as we have in house CBCT, X-ray, ultrasound and image intensifiers.
- Day-case and outpatient investigations and surgical procedures in a modern clinical setting.
- No waiting lists and your treatment can take place at a convenient time for you.
We welcome patients with private medical insurance or those wishing to pay for their own treatment.